Friday, September 12, 2008

TAKE A HIKE IKE

Okay, reading my last post kind of makes me laugh now. But laugh only a little. The tone has changed since then for sure...not so excited about Ike anymore. Lemme give you a breakdown of what's happened since my last post...


To sum it up, I packed up enough clothes for a week, enough school stuff for the classes I'm in now, my laptop, and Baylie. I moved as much stuff away from my windows and doors as possible, and put stuff up on shelves in my closet. I left my car in a high place, and loaded all my crap into my friend Mary Alice's car...and we took off, in the dark, so that we didn't get stuck on the interstate for hours in traffic...Officially evacuees! (we decided if we use the word "refugee" we might get some free handouts? Yes? haha)...So after a quick stop for the essentials (Whataburger taquitos of course), we headed towards Austin, yorkipoo in tow, glad for a couple days of no school.


Yes, we knew a hurricane was coming...but not all that long ago we sat at a church dinner talking to a BOI (Born on Island...they're high status, FYI) and people who have lived in Galveston for years and years...and they totally calmed our fears about hurricanes. In fact, I sorta like hurricanes! The first one that came to TX while I lived in Galveston prompted us to get fishing poles and all the gear and venture out in the massive waves for our first fishing adventure...and that was one of my fave G-Town adventures thus far! Sooo....hurricanes=fun! Right?


Well, now we're sitting at her cousin's house in Austin, watching the news and weather. And watching pictures of the streets covered in water, and waves crashing over the seawall...with the 'cane still hundreds of miles away from landfall. And looking at predictions of where the flooding will be. And what is already flooded. In fact, earlier today, they were reporting live from the gas station across the street from my apartment.


Okay, so here's a little piece of info about my apartment. It's on the first floor. Less than one block off the seawall. Right by a lagoon. And it's old. Sooo, c'mon people, y'all aren't dumb...let's put the pieces together here. Flooding will not be good.


Basically, I'm just watching and waiting to see what happens. Hopefully all will be okay, and either Ike won't continue to gain strength, or it will shift just a little. I'm not sure. But as far as I know, all of my friends got out of there, so in the big scheme of things, that's what's important.


Safe in Austin, visiting fam and friends, and watching Ike. More updates to come.

No comments: