Okay, so update since the last post. (I know I'm a horrible blogger, whatever). Left Waco. Moved to Galveston. Started a one year nursing school program at UTMB. And got lost in the whirlwind.
Basically, my life has taken off, and I'm just trying to catch up! Galveston's great! Galveston sucks! Confused? So am I, don't worry. All I have to do is turn left out of my apartment's parking lot, drive for less than a block,and BAM! I'm at the beach! Granted, it's a brown water, unidentifiable smell, watch out for rotting seaweed kind of beach, but it's a beach nonetheless! Tans can happen here. Relaxation can happen here. Fun can happen here. So the problem? I DON'T HAVE TIME TO GO TO THE BEACH!
Mkay, let's back this train up a couple of stops. Picture it...last summer/fall I'm applying for nursing schools. I'm living off of my parents with a 4 year mega expensive Baylor degree in hand, and doing not a thing with it. Wait, I take that back...I was waiting tables at the fine dining establishment that is Chili's, and going to community college. Is that what the admissions counselors had in mind when they accepted me to Baylor? I'm sure they'd be proud. Anyways, I digress. So I'm applying for nursing schools right around the time the "going nowhere with my life" mentality sets in. So my first thought is to speed up the process. University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston, TX..."accelerated nursing school program." Accelerated? One year to complete two years of nursing school...more clinical hours completed in a year than the 2 and 3 year programs...fast fast fast. Well, the done in one year thing hooked me. "Fast paced learning for motivated students." Motivated? Yah, I was motivated to do something with my life other than serving fried food to grumpy people, is that what they meant? Anyways, I applied, thinking all along I would end up in Dallas. Hoping all along I would end up in Dallas. After all, isn't that what you do when you graduate from Baylor? Waco for a couple of years, then head up to DFW area...it's basically Baylor's 5th year. Pretty much every friend I have with the exception of a few special ones are in the Dallas area. And I could think of nothing I wanted more than to be in Dallas with them, living the life...except for finishing nursing school, and finishing as fast as possible. And the application process continued. I had already applied to Baylor's nursing school (much to the dismay of my parents...and my bank account/lack of back account) and had been accepted. It started in January. In December, I was in NYC with my mom and some family friends, and got a call from UTMB. I was selected for an interview. Seriously? Wait a second...GALVESTON? Yah, I applied, but really? But I went to the interview. On December 19th. On December 20th they mailed out the letters. December 23rd I got the acceptance letter. December 23rd I get super excited. And super freaked out. I'm not supposed to go to Galveston! I'm supposed to go to DALLAS! Hello! Galveston is the opposite direction!!! Lord, what are you doing?!?!
And then it hit me...throughout the entire process I prayed. Before the process began, I prayed. For several years, I've prayed. Prayed that the Lord's will be done in my life. Prayed that His path be chosen over my own. Prayed for His desires to be that of my own heart. Prayed that my life is used for His purposes, whatever that may be. And specifically, prayed that the nursing school I attended be where I was meant to go. The acceptance letter to UTMB was right. And I accepted. And told Baylor that I in fact wasn't starting there in less than 3 weeks. My life course changed, just as it had months earlier when I made the decision to pass up job offers in exchange for a couple years of more schooling to become a nurse. All of this was not without hesitation, questions, and doubt. But I am confident the Lord is bigger than that and has a plan better than I know.
So fast forward a little bit and here I am. In Galveston. Where most people are on vacation, super relaxed and without a care in the world. And I have never been more stressed in my life. I think my life moves faster than I do these days. Some days, i love it. Some days I question what the heck I was thinking. When they said 'accelerated' and 'fast-paced', they weren't joking around. Whirlwind is a better description. But you can't say that on the website.
I'm meeting new people, and missing the old. Desperately missing the old. And yet, I get overwhelmed at the idea of visitors, simply because my calendar is overbooked as it is. Every second dedicated to something. But I want people to come visit in a major way. I feel like my life is on hold for a year. I miss my friends, my family, my life. Sometimes I feel discouraged, but more often than not I feel like I don't even have time to acknowledge my own feelings to recognize that I'm discouraged. I've met some really great girls who are all experiencing the same thing, and they've been wonderful. It's hard to put into words, impossible to describe. And this all sounds over dramatic. (me? over dramatic? never.)
Basically, I'm busy. With a ridiculous amount of obligations and expectations. And it can be overwhelming. Especially when I consider the fact that everything I'm learning is important for the rest of my life. We started clinicals a couple of days ago, and the real world is here. Real lives, in our hands. Here we go folks, dress rehearsal's over and the show has begun!
In it all, the Lord has been faithful to teach me new things. And a faithful refuge. As I go on throughout the year, I'm finding comfort in knowing that I'm here for a purpose. I'm grateful for the people I've met and continue to pray for a positive attitude. I love what I'm learning and I'm thankful for the opportunity, I just feel like I'm missing out on a lot at the same time. But...whenever I get breaks, the beach's right outside! YAY!
So there ya go, you're officially updated. With some major events in between left out. (like my best friend getting married last weekend, for example!). So come to Galveston, I'll be here. Loving life, and stressing about life at the same time! These past months have been a crazy journey of wonderful opportunities, challenges, and chances to grow. K, back to studying. I'll be back to update soon. Maybe?
Jessica
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
LOVE the update! keep it up friend :) love you LOTS! :)
thanks for updating! yay! i'm trying to send your bday present out today so hopefully you'll have a nice surprise this week in the mail! =)love ya!
Post a Comment